Meeting Minutes

MINUTES FROM THE MEETING OF THE THE PARK AND RECREATION COMMISSIONERS

April 17, 2017 7:00 p.m.

Notice is hereby given that a Meeting of the Greenwood Park & Recreation commission was held at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, April 17, 2017. Said meeting was open and the public was encouraged to attend. The Parks and Recreation Commission reserved the right to adjourn to Executive Session per State Statute 84-1410. The open meetings act was posted in the Community Center meeting room for the public to view.

Voting members present: Jeremey Dickes, Matt Holsten, Luke Sobota and Kim Thomason

Voting members absent: Ryan Boggs, Mike Johnson, Jim Swenson

Non-member present: Michelle Criswell, Marcia Fiala, Megan Piehl, Jason Nichelson

Jeremey made a motion to approve the minutes from March 20, 2017. Luke seconded it. Approved as presented.

Old Business-

a. Greenwood Fun Day 2017

1. Jim reported via e-mail that he had scheduled Little Tuggers. He will sign the form and submit it to Marcia for down payment.

2. Jason reported on the 5K.

a. He has a preliminary route and it needs approval.

b. Since part of it is on Church Rd., we will need to notify law enforcement in advance.

c. Will ask for permission to run through the cemetery.

d. Start at 7:00 with registration. 8:00 Registration ends and race begins. 9:00 Awards and Closing.

e. The Fire Department has agreed to help. Need people to stand along the route, especially at corners.

f. 1 mile fun walk begins at 8:10.

g. Jason has a to-do list. Tricia will help.

h. Looking for music at the beginning/end of the route. Ask Kevin Gerlach?

i. Would like a list of park improvements so that people know where their donations go. Expected to raise money with entry fee.

3. Michelle reported on the Car Show.

a. She has received questions from people who are interested.

b. Donations to P&R.

c. She will create a flyer and get it to Marcia for distribution.

d. Need sponsorships.

e. Dash plates are popular.

f. Mike Johnson’s father has offered to help. He has experience and might help with creating unique trophies. Jeremey provided contact information to Michelle.

g. Determine categories of entries.

h. Car show to be located on piece of land by the water tower.

4. Marcia and Megan reported on the Parade.

a. They’ve talked to several people and there is interest.

b. Maybe begin at about 11:30?

c. End by the park?

5. Miscellaneous

a. Kim to get a vendor flyer to Marcia to help create interest. Megan mentioned an event in Ashland where there are vendors (late June). Distribute flyers?

b. Kim to contact Christine about the National Guard.

c. Deadline for completed flyer (with schedule) to Marcia is July 24 in order to include in utility bills.

d. Jeremey to schedule inflatables and face painting again.

e. Kim to call Kent Rung.

f. Marcia will ask Sheri Buck if soccer wants to sell some lunch items.

g. Post Prom? We will try to find out who is in charge and see if they want to sell food again.

h. Koozies? What about including the old ones in the car show bags? Do not want to buy more this year. Sell the old ones for a $1 donation?

i. Luke will work with Mark to schedule light towers and a generator. He will also see if the Fire Department wants to do an event.

j. Kim to call Waverly to reserve large picnic tables.

k. Jeremey feels that there is enough fencing for the beer garden but he will talk to Jimmy.

l. Matt to contact the Boy Scout troop.

m. Jim working on beer vendor and dinner

n. Wristbands remain at $5

o. Art show for children’s art only

p. Need donations for raffle

q. Kim will update the project plan and distribute it.

b. 501(c )(3) Tax ID *

No progress

c. Park Flag Poles

* Discussed the idea. Kim looked on the website at the different types of poles available. There is a wide variation in quality and price.

* Check out All Flags (Omaha) website. http://www.allflagsetc.com/

d. Next Steps for Park Improvements-Discussed ideas

a. Gazebo

b. Ballfield

c. Doggie waste station

d. What about a dog park at Memorial Park?

e. Benches or trees for the park

f. Replace basketball hoops. Backboards too?

Marcia mentioned that Black Hills Energy is looking for more opportunities for grant money.

New Business

a. Tobacco Free Cass County-

Material had previously been distributed through e-mail. Some members have reviewed it. Heard Jim’s opinion sent by e-mail. Other members voiced agreement.

1. The commission chose not to act on the proposal and asked that it be added to the Village Board’s agenda for discussion at the next meeting.

2. Members are not in favor of pursuing this.

b. The following items were discussed during other discussions:

1. Out-of-town baseball team using baseball field. Marcia has ensured that they are coordinating with soccer. They are also continuing to make improvements on the field.

2. Marcia will see about replacing the older items in the kiosk with updated public announcements.

3. Marcia will put in a request to have the village crew make sure the wood chips are raked back into place under the swings and spinning wheel.

4. Crouch did some repairs and adjustments to the playground.

Next meeting May 15, 2017 at 7:00.

GreenwoodB2

Greenwood Mobile

Type in your mobile number in the field below and click "Subscribe" to get newsletter link delivered direct to your phone ea Wed at 1:30pm.

STD SMS & Data Rates apply which means if you currently pay for TEXT messages you send: these that you send to 72727 will also count as TEXT messages. If like most folks you have unlimited Text's you will not see any additional cost for anything. You will probably receive up to 5 addtl. weekly Newsletter msg per month. Anytime you change your mind just TEXT STOP to 72727 and you will immediately be unsubscribed. No matter what you will still receive the good old Email version of the Newsletter.

YourAdHere red
position A

YourAdHere faded
position B